Skip to main content

First Time Playing: Knave

Knave is a rules-lite tabletop rpg written by Ben Milton of Questing Beast (and available here). It's OSR compatible, incredibly easy to teach, and even easier to run. Between reading its seven-page rulebook, and rolling characters, you and your players will be dungeoneering and adventuring within minutes. For starters, it's a fairly standard d20+mod roll-over system (as in, roll higher than a target number). If you're experienced with Dungeons & Dragons 5e or Pathfinder, more than anything you're going to be spending more time unlearning things than having to learn anything new.

What I loved
For being so lightweight, it's actually pretty hard to pick a feature that I love the most. Every mechanic and rule within the book has purpose and weight, and is balanced well within the system. Things just make sense. Each of its six traditional ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma) share equal importance so there's never an immediate dump stat. It's classless, but instead of everyone feeling the same, it gives a sense of freedom to let players develop and design their own characters in their own way, relying on what they want to do instead of what abilities they're given to set themselves apart.

That being said, I think the way Knave handles spellcasting is my absolute favorite thing about this system. Technically, anyone can cast spells as they are available in the form of spellbooks. Each spellbook takes a single inventory slot (which are very limited) and allows a single casting per day. Spellbooks also require two hands to use. Mechanically and thematically, this does an amazing job of helping players feel like an actual wizard or fledgling magic-user and reinforces the trope of giving up a weapon, or carrying certain tools and armor in order to wield the power of magic spells.

The spells themselves are widely flavorful, and can be quite powerful in a creative players hands. Knave features 100 level-less spells, but once you read them it's incredibly easy to come up with your own (or borrow the tables from Ben Milton's other game, Maze Rats). My favorite is probably Summon Idol, in which the caster calls forth a carved stone statue the size of a four-post bed from the ground.

Aside from the spellcasting, I think the thing that draws me to this system is just how hackable it is. It's so rules-lite, it's almost a chassis of an rpg, in a good way. If you already have a laundry list of houserules or preferred systems of handling certain rulings (like chases, combat stunts or maneuvers, etc) then more than likely you can port it over and tack it on with no problems. You can hack together a new magic system, alter the current one, or bolt together one from a different system with relative ease. I myself have written a hack called Knacks, or a way for characters to develop different specialties in this post here.

Next Time I Play
Although I love modding and hacking rpgs, whenever I run something the first time, I try to play it as the designer intended it to get an idea for the game itself before making things my own. Next time I run it, I'll definitely be implementing my aforementioned Knack-hack. Also, the players I play with tend to really focus on interpersonal relationships among their characters, so I might try adding some alternate methods of gaining XP through something like bonds and resolving them (similar to Dungeon World's bonds system).

Final Thoughts
In the weeks reading up on it and preparing our first game, and even just after it, I'm still infatuated with Knave. It's my first foray into the OSR / D&D retroclone space, and my players and I all had a blast with it, already trying to schedule our next play date. For its mechanics, its tables, and its production value it's a steal to be honest. On top of providing a great system of play, there's something about its simplicity and directness that lights those creative lighter fluids on fire for any would-be designer or GM.

Comments

  1. Sounds pretty fun, especially the magic part. I'm not a big fan of the D&D magic system and would like to check out more approaches to it.

    I'm curious about the progression of a classless system. How do the characters specialize themselves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the core game, as you progress you can choose a number of the six ability scores to increase. Because inventory is so limited, specialization then relies mostly on what arms and equipment you choose to take with you, whether that be tools, the type of armor / weapons you use, or spellbooks (since spells take inventory slots).

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this review! Glad you're enjoying the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I'm looking forward to getting more sessions in. On top of that, I can't stop thinking of more tables to make for this system.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Bucket of Bolts

Next up on my journey through solo rpg space is a little zine called Bucket of Bolts ( buy it here ), where you take on the POV of medium sized spacecraft, and explore its journey through time and space, cataloging adventures, upgrades, and a timeline of several Captains that have the privilege of being at the helm. It's based on another rpg called Artefact (in which you write from the POV of a sentient magic item or weapon). I had enjoyed  Artefact before, so I was excited to try this one out.  Source:  abduzeedo The game starts with you describing your ship; writing about some basic details like the type of ship, the model and make, the crew who designed and built it, as well as some defining traits like if it's sleek , or powerful , or intimidating .  My particular ship for this game was nicknamed Ladybug, and was the mid-range value model of Hyperion Industries called the Prospect-QX . Sporting the same engine and basic design as their flagship luxury spaceship line, the Pr

Lichdom - A Reflective Ascent to Power

 I recently sat down and resolved to start tackling the mountain of rulebooks and rpgs that seemed to be growing by the week before me. That, paired with a sort of terse relationship with video games at the moment, lead me to tackle some of the solo roleplaying games that I had begun to subconsciously collect. I had played one or two before, most notably the famous and award-winning Thousand Year Old Vampire , which was a surreal experience at the least (and a profoundly introspective jaunt at its best).  Source: Dungeon Crawl Classics (seriously great game, check it out too) This week I decided to try one of the newer ones I had picked up: Lichdom (buy it here) . Thanking the past version of me that had the foresight (or the money burning a hole in my digital wallet) for backing the Kickstarter that came with the hardcover and a custom deck of themed playing cards, I cracked open the cards, uncapped a new pen, and creased the spine of a brand new journal to start playing.  Lichdom is

Knave-Knacks

Knave is a great chassis of an rpg for modding and hacking, and it seems that the first thing that most game designers see is a need for class customization in an otherwise classless system. I'm no different. Here's a stab in the dark at trying to add a little more character customization. Knacks As characters level, they reveal themselves to either have obtained or show a natural knack for different aspects of dungeoneering. At levels 3, 6, and 9, instead of increasing three abilities by one point, they increase a single ability by one point and roll on one of the following tables. (I guess your players can pick one if they want, but rolling is usually more fun, and that's what matters).  Fighting       +1 boon on attack rolls        +1 boon on stunts        Deal damage equal to your Strength on a successful stunt       Ignore losing 1 point of quality on armor or extra damage when an attacker rolls a 20 (or you roll a 1 to defend).       When wielding tw